Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday Night in Jackson, Tennessee

You know how it's on my Life List to visit every state in the U.S.? Well, usually I don't consider just driving through a state as having "visited." Like, on this trip to Virginia? We stopped at a McDonald's in Arkansas to use the bathroom, but I don't think that counts as having "been" to Arkansas, because I didn't actually do anything there.

So I'm not sure if traveling through Tennessee counts either, but I've got a good story for you anyway.

My dad and I had just crossed the Tennessee border, just passed through Memphis, and it was getting dark and pouring rain, and we were about ready to call it a day. I had gotten several recommendations from friends who had traveled with pets before to stop at a La Quinta Inn, because they don't charge fees for animals. The next La Quinta past Memphis was in Jackson, so I made a reservation for us. Once we got the cat and all our bags unloaded, we looked for a place to get dinner.

Now, neither my dad nor I are the type to stick with chain restaurants if we have the option of local places. We looked on Yelp to see what was close and had decent reviews, and ended up at this little fast-casual, beach-themed Mexican food place called Tulum's. It was fine; we were hungry. My burrito was the size of my head.

By the time we got back to the motel, it was only like, 8 p.m., and we were all, "What do you want to do?" "I dunno, what do you want to do?"

There was a bench in front of the La Quinta where people had been sitting and smoking while we had been unloading my truck, so my dad decided that we would go to the Exxon station across the street and get some beer. And then drink it on the bench in front of the La Quinta.

So we did.


So you tell me — do you think this counts as having visited Tennessee?

13 comments

  1. oh gosh, you and your dad sound like a ton of fun. it looks like just drinking beer on a porch, but it's really about being easily pleased/making the most of a situation/enjoying good company/finding joy in people watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie @ A Beautiful Little AdvOctober 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

    It makes me smile that you did something other than hole up in hotel room and watch TV, even if you're just steps outside of the hotel Hope it was some good people watching and good chatting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you stay the night, it counts. And you have a restaurant you can recommend (or not).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say it counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good people-watching and puppy-watching! Lots of people with pets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a lot of fun! We thought what we were doing was hilarious, so we had to call my mom and my sister so they could laugh with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point. I'd give it three and a half stars - generous portion sizes but the style of the restaurant was a little odd, and their salsa was lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think if you do something memorable (which you totally did) it counts as a visit. Sounds like a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commenting! I'm glad my dad has the same adventurous streak that I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an awesome story!! You and your Dad sound too cute :-) I would totally count that as visiting a state…but then again, I'm one of those underachievers who considers driving through somewhere having "been there" haha. I've "been" to nine states, but I've probably only gotten out of the car in five or so. BUT, you ate at a local place, sat on a local bench, and drank beer from a local Exxon. Sounds like a visit to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess that could totally be legit though — I mean, driving through Vermont to see the trees counts, so why not driving through other places?

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason, I thought you were driving cross country by yourself, so I was relieved to see your dad went with you. It sounds like you guys had a blast and made the best of a boring situation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would have been so much worse of a drive by myself! It was great to have someone to switch off with, or it would have taken so much longer.

    ReplyDelete