Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hoarders

My mom has been really into watching Hoarders lately. She says it makes her feel like cleaning and getting rid of things, which is the same reaction I have when I watch Hoarders.

Except when I watch Hoarders, I don't go into other people's houses and remove all their crap.

My family came to visit me this weekend, and my mom and sister went through my closet and made me get rid of like, half my stuff. They kept asking me "WHEN was the last time you wore this!" and then were horribly embarrassed when I said "Last week!" and then threw everything "old" or "yucky" into a pile to haul to Goodwill.

Not my old cutoff sweatpants!

(Granted, I really needed to do this, but I'm still kind of irritated.)

They said they would take me shopping soon, which is good since it's their fault I have no more clothes.

How often do you clean out your closet? And what one piece do I absolutely need when we go shopping?

7 comments

  1. I'm really bad about getting rid of clothes. I usually only do it when I need a hanger for a new top, but I was proud of myself for donating a bunch of items when we moved out. Yay for going shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, that's hilarious! I clean out my closet pretty often, but I usually end up missing something that I've gotten rid of, so I have to be really careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that problem too! A few years ago I had some forest green skinny jeans that weren't in style at the time, so I got rid of them, and I've been kicking myself all season for that one!

      Delete
  3. Haha, that sounds crazy! I used to be really bad about getting rid of things, but when I moved from CA to NY and then back again, I got over any hoarding tendencies I had. There's nothing like a cross-country move or two to help you pick out what you actually need and what you really need to just get rid of. :) There were definitely clothes that moved with me to NY that did not get moved back simply because I hadn't worn them in the two years since I moved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely work for me! Is it bad that I'm looking forward to moving just so I can get rid of a bunch of crap? :)

      Delete
  4. Last year I got rid of like 6 garbage bags full of clothes. And I still find myself missing some things. Who knew leopard print would come back into style? Now, unless something has a hole in it, I'm planning on hoarding my clothes forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally planning to hoard my clothes from here on out on a fashion basis. A lot of the stuff they got rid of DID have holes ... or were just worn out beyond belief. But if something is still in good shape, I'm holding out for the next time it comes back in style!

      Delete